Channeling Socrates… Please THINK!
It’s National Dolphin Day:
Dolphins are highly social animals that form superpods in which they form strong bonds and stay with injured or ill individuals, even helping them breathe by guiding them to the surface.
In a world of sharks, I hope you can be that dolphin that makes a difference!
BTW, there are over 1,200 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day!
20 Year Anniversary of the Rady Children’s Center for Healthier Communities:
I was privileged to attend this event on behalf of the Ackerman Foundation on Wednesday.
It was an inspiring gathering that showcased the amazing work and impact this group has had over 2 decades in partnership with many other local organizations.
I was particularly struck by the comments and call to action by Dr. Bob Ross, President and CEO of the California Endowment, who highlighted 3 main themes:
- This work is exemplary; ensuring the circle of human concern and compassion is as wide as it can be. In today’s narrative, beyond politics and personalities, the exclusion circle narrative seems to be winning out v the inclusion circle narrative. Children’s hospitals over the last 4 decades have remained warm, welcoming inclusive environments where NO CHILD is turned away based on their documentation status, religious beliefs, demography or other factors. We can’t turn back the clocks on ensuring the circle of compassion is as wide as it can be and ensuring this cultural competency remains integral to our work in every sector of society.
- Remaining vigilant of Trauma Adversity. Early implications and the data suggests that the old adage, “time heals all wounds” is not true! Multiple doses of trauma have long term implications for long term health and wellbeing and we need trauma smart systems to proactively address these challenges and limit the adverse impacts.
- Keep advocating for healthcare for all. We have gone from over one million kids in the US not having access to healthcare to less than 75,000 but this with the Obamacare rollback and risks to Medicare need to be social issues we add our voice, power and advocacy to preserve and protect and will require a fight to get to 100% universal coverage.
Thanks for the generous support from the Ackerman Foundation to supporting these causes and our community!
If Living Better Matters to You and Your Organization, You Might Enjoy This Interview with Yours Truly on a Local Radio Station- KSON:
If you are local:
Join us for Purpose San Diego on April 19th @ the Corporate Alliance:
PURPOSE SAN DIEGO – WHERE BUSINESS MEETS PURPOSE
IN PARTNERSHIP WITH GAME CHANGERS
BREAKFAST CLUB – KICK OFF EVENT
APRIL 19, 7:30AM
CORPORATE ALLIANCE OF SAN DIEGO
PURPOSE SAN DIEGO is uniting minds
to magnify positive impacts on society
You are invited to the launch event
of the monthly Breakfast Club.
ATTEND THIS GREAT EVENT TO:
- Be a leader in purposeful business space.
- Align your organization with a purpose driven mission.
- Find your passion purpose(s).
- Connect with others who share your purpose, for greater impact.
- Share best practices and learnings to accelerate the journey.
- Learn from expert speakers, innovators, and thought leaders in this field.
PURPOSE SAN DIEGO’S MISSION IS TO:
- Unite purpose-driven organizations & individuals to strengthen our local purposeful business community.
- Create more awareness about the conscious business movement and how all can participate.
- Grow our collective through purpose driven connections.
- Share resources, best practices, and learnings to powerfully enhance our positive impact on society.
TIME & PLACE
WEDNESDAY APRIL 19, 7:00 – 9:30 AM
CORPORATE ALLIANCE OF SAN DIEGO
9171 TOWNE CENTRE DRIVE #180
GAME CHANGERS | CORPORATE ALLIANCE
Eventbrite – The Kick-Off Breakfast Event by PURPOSE SAN DIEGO!
Restoring Respect 6th Annual Conference on Restoring Civility, April 18-19th @ UCSD Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice:
Modeling Civility Has Never Been More Important
Add your Voice and Power to the Change We Wish to See in the World!
April is also National Sexual Assault Awareness Month:
“There is increasing evidence that, with support from a caring adult and high-quality treatment, many children and parents effectively recover and may feel stronger and closer as a family in the aftermath of a traumatic experience.”
Join us for this Human Trafficking Awareness event Tuesday April 25th from 4 to 5:30pm
kNOw MORE! And Change the World for the better, together!
This performance uses dialogue, abstract dramatized images and spoken work to incite curiosity and prompt a learning journey toward understanding red flags and vulnerabilities in human trafficking
Event Flyer: No More Know More
Please RSVP on our Eventbrite page:
Come to Triton Entrepreneur Night April 27th 2017
Celebrate Innovation and Entrepreneurship with big exhibits, live demonstrations, team pitches and networking with the entrepreneurial-minded folk that have started or backed startup companies.
You can register at: http://www.ucsdbasement.com/
Thanks this week go to the Team at Rady Children’s Center for Healthier Communities and the Ackerman Foundation, Larry K and the Purpose Breakfast Club, Naila C and all those committed to addressing Human Trafficking as well as Social Entrepreneurs committed to changing the world for the better!
Pay it forward please!
“If you want to be happy practice compassion; if you want others to be happy, practice compassion” – The Dalai Lama