Happy First Soul Food Friday for 2022!
Getting You In The Mood with the 2021 ANNUAL NEOLOGISM CONTEST
Once again, The Washington Post has published the winning submissions to its yearly contest in which readers are asked to supply alternative meanings for common words.
The winners are:
1. Coffee (N.), the person upon whom one coughs.
2. Flabbergasted (adj.), appalled over how much weight you have gained.
3. Abdicate (V.), to give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach.
4. Esplanade (V.), to attempt an explanation while drunk.
5. Willy-nilly (Adj.), impotent.
6. Negligent (Adj.), describes a condition in which you absentmindedly answer the door in your nightgown.
7. Lymph (V.), to walk with a lisp.
8. Gargoyle (N.), olive-flavored mouthwash.
9. Flatulence (N.) emergency vehicle that picks you up after you are run over by a steamroller.
10. Balderdash (N.), a rapidly receding hairline.
11. Testicle (N.), a humorous question on an exam.
12. Rectitude (N.), the formal, dignified bearing adopted by proctologists.
13. Pokemon (N), a Rastafarian proctologist.
14. Oyster (N.), a person who sprinkles his conversation with Yiddishisms.
15. Frisbeetarianism (N.), (back by popular demand): The belief that, when you die, your Soul flies up onto the roof and gets stuck there.
16. Circumvent (N.), an opening in the front of boxer shorts worn by Jewish men.
The New Year once started in March—here’s why
For starters, January didn’t exist for the ancient Romans. Here’s how their calendar evolved into our modern system of marking time.
The new year once started in March—here’s why (nationalgeographic.com)
Scrap the Big New Year’s Resolutions-Make 6 Simple Changes Instead:
Scrap the Big New Year’s Resolutions. Make 6 Simple Changes Instead. – HBS Working Knowledge
7 Small Joys You Should Make Sure to Add to Your Daily Routine in 2022
One of your top priorities for next year should be your own happiness. These tiny pleasures can help.
7 Small Joys You Should Make Sure to Add to Your Daily Routine in 2022 | Inc.com
Why You Hate going back to Work after Vacation
Sometimes you feel even more drained after taking a few days off. Here’s what you can do to cope.
How to make going back to work after vacation easier | Popular Science (popsci.com)
Is there a Minimum Exercise Time? New evidence provides a surprising answer
Old requirements for at least 10-minute intervals may be out the door.
Is there a minimum exercise time? New evidence provides a surprising answer (inverse.com)
If We Can’t Come Together on COVID, These Disasters Are Next
From climate change to nukes, the world is showing no signs of the cooperation we need to survive.
If We Can’t Come Together on COVID, These Disasters Are Next (thedailybeast.com)
Land of Confusion- Genesis
My musical selection for this week to lift your spirits!
Genesis – Land Of Confusion (From When in Rome 2007 DVD) – YouTube
So How do we Ring in the New Year with a Smile? L’chaim!
It comes courtesy of the phenomenally talented Lin-Manuel Miranda on the occasion of his own wedding back in 2010. Manuel was already a rising musical star but hadn’t hit the stratosphere of fame that would come years later with his musical Hamilton. For this lover of musical theater, there seemed to be no better song to sing to his bride Vanessa than one inspired by a culture and a time far different from his own. Such is the universality of hope, and music. The joy on the faces of everyone involved is impossible to contain!
To Life: Vanessa’s Wedding Surprise – YouTube
Thanks this week go to Kurt C for the neologisms and Ron M for L’chaim!
Let’s make this next journey around the sun count and pay it forward with purpose.
“LOVE is our Soul Purpose”
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NevilleB108
Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nbillimoria