Happy Soul Food Friday!
- I Drive Your Truck: A Songwriter and an Army Dad Share the Consummate Serendipitous Soul Food Story
- The Most Simple and Elegant Explanation on the Real Value of Education
- The Changing Lives of Women (and Men)
- 10 Best Personal Development Books by Robin Sharma
- A Touching Cover of “Space Oddity” Actually Recorded in SPACE on the International Space Station
- Experience Two Things that are Hard to Believe
But first some humor to reset your state…
After I retired, my wife insisted that I accompany her on her trips to Target. Unfortunately, like most men, I found shopping boring and preferred to get in and get out. Equally unfortunate, my wife is like most women – she loves to browse. Yesterday my dear wife received the following letter from the local Target:
Dear Mrs. Johnson,
Over the past six months, your husband has caused quite a commotion in our store. We cannot tolerate this behavior and have been forced to ban both of you from the store.
Our complaints against your husband are listed below and are documented by our video surveillance cameras:
1. June 15: He took 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in other people’s carts when they weren’t looking.
2. July 2: Set all the alarm clocks in House wares to go off at 5-minute intervals.
3. July 7: He made a trail of tomato juice on the floor leading to the women’s restroom.
4. July 19: Walked up to an employee and told her in an official voice, “Code 3 in Housewares. Get on it right away.” This caused the employee to leave her assigned station and receive a reprimand from her Supervisor that in turn resulted with a union grievance, causing management to lose time and costing the company money. We don’t have a Code 3.
5. August 4: Went to the Service Desk and tried to put a bag of M&Ms on layaway.
6. August 14: Moved a “CAUTION – WET FLOOR” sign to a carpeted area.
7. August 15: Set up a tent in the camping department and told the children shoppers he’d invite them in if they would bring pillows and blankets from the bedding department to which twenty children obliged.
8. August 23: When a clerk asked if they could help him, he began crying and screamed, “Why can’t you people just leave me alone?” EMTs were called.
9. September 4: Looked right into the security camera and used it as a mirror while he picked his nose.
10. September 10: While handling guns in the hunting department, he asked the clerk where the antidepressants were.
11. October 3: Darted around the store suspiciously while loudly humming the Mission Impossible theme.
12. October 6: In the auto department, he practiced his “Madonna look” using different sizes of funnels.
13. October 18: Hid in a clothing rack and when people browsed through, yelled “PICK ME! PICK ME!”
14. October 22: When an announcement came over the loud speaker, he assumed a fetal position and screamed “OH, NO! IT’S THOSE VOICES AGAIN!”
15. Took a box of condoms to the checkout clerk and asked where the fitting room is.
And last, but not least:
16. October 23: Went into a fitting room, shut the door, waited awhile, and then yelled very loudly, “Hey! There’s no toilet paper in here.” One of the clerks passed out.
I Drive Your Truck: A Songwriter and an Army Dad Share the Consummate Serendipitous Soul Food Story
This one had me crying too…
This is Water: An excerpt from and address to the graduating class of Kenyon College by David Foster Wallace
The resulting speech didn’t become widely known until 3 years after his tragic death. It is, some of the best life advice we’ve ever come across, and perhaps the most simple and elegant explanation of the real value of education.
The Changing Lives of Women (and Men):
A thoughtful revisit of our changing roles and need to refresh our societal expectations…
10 Best Personal Development books by Robin Sharma
If you are a lifelong learner, you will recognize some of these and need to explore some of the others…
Your Only Chance to Hear a “Space Oddity” Cover Recorded in SPACE on the International Space Station:
ISS Commander and mustachioed Canadian Chris Hadfield has given us no end of joy during his current five-month stint floating above our blue orb. But perhaps none of them is as touching—and just downright incredible—as his sendoff cover of David Bowie’s “Space Oddity.” Enjoy this strangely moving intersection of technology and feeling… with appropriately stunning video.
What’s that on the dam wall?
Look closely ! It’s one of those things you have to see to believe !
This is the Diga del Cingino dam in Italy – can you see the little dots on the wall ? You’ll never guess what they are…
You’ve got to be ‘kid’-ding !
They are European Ibex and they like to eat the moss and lichen growing on the wall. They also are licking the salt off the stone. Isn’t it incredible they can stand at that angle ? Just when you think you’ve seen everything!
Found that impossible? Well, then can you explain how this can happen?
Thanks this week go to Marianne H, Robin M, Robin S and Larry H.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”– Albert Einstein
“So act a goat, climb your mountain and be yourself!”- Neville