Happy Soul Food Friday!
The Issue of Privilege:
This comic puts matters of privilege in perspective…
High Performing Schools and High Suicide Rates:
Achievement at what cost?
Is There An Upside to Depression?
A different take on a serious health matter…
20 Tips for a Positive New Year for YOU:
20 Tips for a Positive New Year
Updated for 2016
1. Stay Positive. You can listen to the cynics and doubters and believe that success is impossible or you can trust that with faith and an optimistic attitude all things are possible.
2. Take a morning walk of gratitude. I call it a “Thank You Walk.” It will create a fertile mind ready for success.
3. Make your first meal the biggest and your last meal the smallest. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a college kid with a maxed out charge car. 🙂
4. Remember that outside circumstances and events have no power over you. You create your world from the inside-out.
5. Talk to yourself instead of listen to yourself. Instead of listening to your complaints, fears and doubts, talk to yourself and feed your mind with words of truth and encouragement you need to keep moving forward.
6. Post a sign that says “No Energy Vampires Allowed.” Gandhi said, “I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.”
7. Don’t chase dollars or success. Decide to make a difference and build meaningful relationships and success will find you.
8. Get more sleep. You can’t replace sleep with a double latte.
9. Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip, energy vampires, issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in your purpose, people and the positive present moment.
10. You don’t have to be great to serve but you have to serve to be great. Look for opportunities to Love, Serve and Care.
11. Live your purpose. Remember why you do what you do. We don’t get burned out because of what we do. We get burned out because we forget why we do it.
12. There’s no such thing as an overnight success. Anything worthwhile takes time to build.
13. Trust that everything happens for a reason and expect good things to come out of challenging experiences.
14. Implement the No Complaining Rule. If you are complaining, you’re not leading.
15. Read more books than you did in 2015. I happen to know of a few good ones. : )
16. Don’t seek happiness. Instead decide to live with passion and purpose and happiness will find you.
17. Focus on “Get to” vs “Have to.” Each day focus on what you get to do, not what you have to do. Life is a gift not an obligation.
18. The next time you “fail” remember that you aren’t failing, you are becoming. You aren’t failing, you are growing.
19. Smile and laugh more. They are natural anti-depressants.
20. Enjoy the ride. You only have one ride through life so make the most of it and enjoy it.
Download these tips as a Printable PDF Here >
If you are Local: 2-1-1 Rock the House!
Every year I look forward to seeing 2-1-1 San Diego’s annual video at their Annual Connections Luncheon. This year, their event is taking on a new twist to celebrate their moving into a bigger, state-of-the-art facility, and I was asked to make a cameo appearance in the video. The Rock the House celebration, on 2/12, is going to be a great event and I hope you’ll come see my debut. Oh, did I mention that live entertainment will be provided by Grammy award-winning group Ozomatli? Get your tickets today http://211connections.org/211-event/
Thanks this week go to Viv S, Karen Sneha-ji M, Larry H, Dr. Amen, and the team at 2-1-1 connecting 500,000 people every year to social services and key government entities.
“No man should bring children into the world who is unwilling to persevere to the end in their nature and education.”— Plato